Official Change of Address USPS
When you are moving from one location to the other, for your own convenience you will need to make a USPS change of address. This is in order to ensure that you don’t miss any of your important mails as your associates may keep sending them to your old address thus the mail man will take them to your old residence. To save yourself from any eventualities as a result of not receiving your mails, you need to make an address change. Below is an official way of going about the process.
Steps for completing USPS change of address through the internet
- The process starts with the initiation of address change at https://moversguide.usps.com from your personal computer, mobile phone or tablet computer with internet access.
- You will need to have a debit or credit card and a valid email address for validation of identity for the change of the address to be processed. For the address to be changed, you will be charged some identity verification fee.
- Enter your debit/credit card number together with the billing address. Below are the credit cards that you can use:
- American Express®
The bank information entered is electronically verified by the U.S. Postal Service with your bank so as to confirm that the address provided is marching that of the card thus ensuring the online transaction is secure.
- An automatic email confirmation is sent to you after the completion of your USPS change of address.
- A Confirmation Notification Letter together with a Welcome Kit will then be sent to your new address. The letter is sent that you can verify your address change information for filing at your post office.
After you have moved to your new location and your change of address information has been verified, for a period of time, mails sent to your old address will be forwarded to your new address. There are different classes of mails as discussed below
Classes of Mail:
- Priority Mail®, First-Class Mail® and Express Mail®: These mails will be forwarded to you at not charges for 12 months
- Periodical: These will be forwarded to your address at no charge for 60 days. These include magazines & newspapers
- Standard Mail: These are not forwarded unless the mailer requests so. These include catalogs, books, and circulars together with advertisement mails that weigh less than 16 oz.
- Package Services (packages that weigh more than 16 oz which aren’t mailed by Priority Mail): Local forwarding at no charge is done for 12 months. If you move outside the local area, any additional charge will be incurred by you.
- Special Services: Signature Confirmation™, insured, registered, special handling mail, Delivery Confirmation™, Collect on Delivery (COD) and Certified mails, if being forwarded to a domestic address will be forwarded without an additional fee.
During the time when it is still free to forward the mails, it is important that you use the window period to inform all the persons and agencies that send you mails of your address change. This will save you from incurring any extra charges after the free mail forwarding period elapses.